Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer Residency 2010 VSC

Barbara White Studios Building

The Red Mill - Campus Center: dinning room, residents' lounge, galleries, admin. offices


July 2010 at VSC (Vermont Studio Center)
http://www.vermontstudiocenter.org/

What a productive summer! Full of awesome surprises, rich experiences and gifted individuals, it was a July that will go on in my own personal history as an “ah ha” moment! Eureka! With the support of time and resources provided by the Center, I was able to negotiate some of my creative ambiguities. This focused situation although brief, allowed me to develop in leaps and bounds. Visiting critics: Frances Barth and Jean Blackburn, along with some block-buster co-residents continually fed the painting monster within me. Vermont Studio Center occupies a 30+ building very rural campus along the picturesque Gihon River in Johnson, Vermont. I began most mornings with other residents for an hour of Tai Chi in one of the lush gardens maintained by the Center. Cai Xi Silver, a resident and painter led each session. With little distractions, and meals provided, producing art, though it is never an easy task, suddenly became modus opperandi. My second floor, sun-filled corner studio in the Barbara White Building was my lair to wrestle the creative beast and finally wring about 10 (mostly incomplete) paintings by month’s end; a deluge of investigation transferred to my home studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment