Monday, August 9, 2010

Painting a Sense of Place

acrylic/canvas(30"x40") acrylic/canvas (30"x40")




acrylic/canvas (40" x 30")

My investigations of place have recently intersected with interest in notions that many realities co-exist simultaneously; both abstract and concrete. Realities of circular instead of linear time, the possibility of actually locating dark matter
and the discovery of chaos theories (http://www.around.com/chaos.html)
have informed my practice.
I am working from a variety of sources to develop a space which is the locus of all the opposites we experience as daily life; flat and deep, linear and circular, reality and fantasy. When I construct an image I am using both photographic resources as well as gestural mark making techniques. I have used Photoshop to alter and simplify photos which are then combined with a hand drawn line and transferred to the canvas. I am experimenting with color to both justify as well as decry accepted color theories, which seem to have their desired effects only within groups schooled in such color theory. These images begin with photographs of urban architecture. I often refer to art historical imagery incorporating figure or place.

No comments:

Post a Comment