Friday, November 27, 2009

Dance - Human Movement and Visual Art

(ink on paper, 44" x 30")

(acylic on paper, 29" x 21")

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_wagner/

With a more direct connection to my roots in dance, I have been able to examine and explore the powerful element of movement with a fuller understanding and sensitivity. Early on, beginning in Pittsburgh at the drama school of Carnegie-Mellon University, I had investigated areas of performance and eventually dance at Point Park College. After working through many forms and styles of the art, I realized that making visual imagery was actually the core of my work. I have incorporated the figure, reference to it, or simply movement derived from human movement into the paintings. It is now unavoidable. As my imagery develops, I am interested in the hybrid of permanent and temporary. Training with Leonide Massine and Vitale Fokine in Phg., and with Martha Graham, and Harkness House in NYC has brought a natural fluidity to my investigations of architecture and place. I am interesdted in the places that are on top of, in between and that encompass other places. It’s the reality of virtual and actual, of past and future, of all seemingly opposite realities that construct our experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment